- We really can do the things we need to do. Even though I was by myself and dealing with all three kids on top of the hurricane I really felt that Heavenly Father was aware of me and gave me the ability to do what I needed to do for my family. Not to say that I did it all on my own. I was also incredibly blessed with great friends and neighbors that were watching out for me and my family's needs and helped in so many ways.
- The counsel on Food Storage and 72-hour kits, etc, etc, is so inspired! While it is hard to not feel panicked when food is gone from the shelves of your grocery stores it was such a comfort to know that I already had enough on hand to take care of my family. Not to mention having a radio, candles, water jugs, etc. Not to say that I am done building my food storage or that I had everything on hand that I needed (I still did last minute shopping like everyone else) but I knew we would be okay. I think the biggest thing I learned was that even though I didn't have to use my wheat or most of the other things we are told to have on hand, the biggest blessing that came from having them was peace of mind and comfort. And in a time of panic and concern for your family, that is priceless.
- I won't forget Jeff commenting about our time in my master closet on the night of the storm (which for those of you who don't know - is long and narrow), "this is pretty cool mom, it's like our own mobile home. It's long and we have food in it and beds...it's cool." Bless his heart but three kids and me awake all night long in those cramped quarters under such circumstances was not exactly cool :)
- A generator is worth its weight in gold (thanks again dad)
- Nine days without power after a hurricane is about 8 days too long!
- It's possible to miss doing the laundry and vacuuming. I couldn't wait to do it again.
- I learned that when a whole neighborhood chips in with what they have on hand you can eat pretty dang good. No power needed. But then this is Texas - just give us a grill and we are good to go :)
- My kids still get excited when they see a power truck or tree service truck. They yell, "Look Mom! Look!" every time we see one now. Maybe it was because they saw all of us grown-ups cheering and clapping for them (seriously) when they came on our street to work. We love those power trucks :) And we love our AC!!!
- A ward family is awesome. Again, truly inspired to be organized in a way to where we can build friendships and support each other and watch out for each individuals needs. I never once felt alone. I knew I was being watched out for.
- One of my most treasured experiences took place the Sunday after the storm. It was still just the boys and me and because of the situation we did not have church but I felt prompted to still hold Primary with the boys at home. We made a pulpit out of a step stool and gave assignments for talks, Article of Faith, etc. I did sharing time on the Sabbath day and talked about what we had just gone through and why this Sunday was very different but that we could still focus on Jesus. I can't describe the spirit that was there as we sang and prayed together but it set the tone for the rest of the week and I will never forget that sweet time with my boys. The gospel is amazing!
Here are what pictures we have. I hate that we don't have more (blame Craig for taking the camera!)




4 comments:
I love the pictures of the laundry lines in the back yard! You are a trooper Tammy. I think I would have stayed in the closet until the power came back on. :)
That was a close call with the tree. I'm grateful for these pictures which I can share with the kids and talk again about how Heavenly Father hears our prayers. And how we should be thankful for electricity---love the swingset/laundry lines!
Super Woman!! I can't imagine. That tree was a monster, glad it didn't do worse.
Tammy,
You are amazing, the story of being in the closet makes me so proud of you. It is so fun to see your blog. Your kids are so cute.
Post a Comment